Wednesday 10 December 2008

Reflections of a boy biker

I did everything I could to fit into any gang that would have me in the 70’s. Long hair, unwashed, jeans full of holes, leather jacket with studs and a 750cc Triumph Bonneville motorcycle with extra loud exhaust pipes. I left school at 16 with poor grades from my exams but managed to talk my way into a job. Today my friends are mostly university professors or company directors. Punk Rock is a major feature on our iPods, we exchange old stories of teenage sex, drugs, parties and run-ins with the police that surprise most kids today, mostly because that is not what they would expect of “successful” adults.

That suggests two things two me:
1)  You never know who these boys could become.
2)  They never know who they could become.

I got a couple of breaks. An older prototype wireman at an electronics firm I worked for had been a motorcyclist and his son a drug addict. He was tough but compassionate. He never judged me for my lifestyle, he never acted like a parent, he bought me beer when I was underage and told me obscene jokes whilst teaching me the trade. It was my first real adult relationship.

At the same company the Technical Director gave me my big chance. He had been a motorcyclist and a 60’s “Rocker” enjoying fighting with the Teds on Brighton seafront. He did not see me as just another oik on a motorbike. He saw me as a comrade to join him in an internal company revolution to improve business process's and quality control. He became my next mentor and I have never looked back.

Thank you Doug “Mac” McWilliams and John Freeman of Audix Ltd for some of the most critical experiences of my life between 1978 and 1984.

James Carroll
Founder & CEO THOR Photomedicine Ltd http://www.thorlaser.com
Fellow Royal Society of Medicine
Assoc Member Institute of Physics

No comments: